Saturday, September 17, 2011

Aurora Nebeker Wilson

January 15, 1881 to December 26, 1958


Tribute to Roe Wilson written by Marie Stevenson

Some of the nicest things in life come in small packages. Roe Wilson was one of them.

As a girl she was a dainty lovely thing with a fragile kind of beauty much like a Dresden figurine. At the old Brigham Young Academy she stood at the top of her class, not only as a scholar, but also as a leader, being chosen class vice president. The memory of this petite little brownette from Payson remained bright in the hearts of her classmates throughout the years. My mother-in-law was one of them.

After receiving her normal degree, she accepted a position as a teacher in Santaquin, and some of her students were almost as old as she was. To this day many still remember attending her school during the week and enjoying the warm hospitality of her home in Payson on week ends. The friends she made at this time remained life long ones.

She taught but a few years then married a man whom she had known all her life, Melvin Wilson. At the time of her marriage she was all a man could desire; beautiful, popular, well educated, and poised. To her husband she gave all her love and respect. Their marriage was a good one for their interests were the same. The fulfillment of her husband's ambitions in his chosen field from teacher to principal and finally superintendent of Nebo District School was the realization of her own dreams.

Roe was a woman of many accomplishments, but her finest efforts went to being a wife and a mother, and her two sons Dale and Gordon were throughout her life her biggest pride.

As years passed she matured to a soft spoken intellectual woman, reserved and charming, and had the unique quality of being able to meet the great and the small in the worlds of education and government with equal grace.

She was the kind of a wife and mother that any man would have been proud of. She was fine and sensitive, feeling more deeply than most of us. Consequently she had more love, more joy and more sorrow. She was able to put herself in the position of others easily, and tears often came to her eyes when she spoke of a friend's misfortune. She had a wistful smile that remained throughout her illness.

The daughters she never had materialized with the birth of Dale's two daughters, Becky and Diann. She couldn't have loved them more had they been her own. And what they feel for her today is probably best expressed by Robert Louis Stevenson "What were childhood wanting you?"

The long illness that preceeds death more often then not is an ordeal that many of us feel inadequate to cope with, especially if it strikes some one close to us. It is certainly a credit to anyone can see a loved one through without outside help during this trying time. In all my years Melvin and Gordon are the only two men I have ever known who were unselfish enough to assume this responsibility. They did it not because it was best for them, but because it was best for her. I must add the task was never done with a more heaping measure of devotion, nor for one more deserving of it. Not every man had a wife like Melvin's or a mother like Dale And Gordon's. What a tribute of love her husband paid to her. Words are inadequate to express the patience and understanding needed to for care these last few years. I wonder if anyone ever lived the clause in the marriage contract to love and to cherish though sickness and health more fully than Melvin.

Any time during the last few weeks death could have come to Roe not as the thief, but as a friend. As often is the case, her death was in keeping with her life. She stayed with them for Christmas, then slipped away early the next morning.



I was given this dressing table and chair from my aunt Maggie last weekend. It was Aurora's. I can't believe how tiny the chair is! I obviously never knew Aurora, but I have always admired her. She was a member of The Daughter's of the Utah Pioneers, and wrote her own personal history. She had dementia, and burned all of her records. I really wish that she hadn't done that, because I would have loved to get to know her better. If we would have had a daughter she would have been named Aurora, but at this point that won't be happening!




My mom and aunt have fond memories of Aurora and this dressing table. I asked my mom to write about it. This is from her...



When I was in the third grade, my mom and dad got a divorce. My mom, Becky, and I moved to Riverside to live with Grandpa Beck. Every summer Becky and I went to Payson to stay with Grandpa (Melvin) and Grandma (Aurora) Wilson. They lived in the "little" house then. I first remember the little dresser and chair when Lynn Harmer and I would play in the bedroom. The princess sat in the little chair, and the other one was the servant, and would comb her hair and braid it. Both Lynn and I had long hair so it was very special to be the princess. At that time there were two pictures on the dresser, one of dad (Dale) and the other one of Gordon when they were younger. We would pretend that they were pictures of one of the princes we were going to marry. I know it sounds silly now, but I can still remember how special I felt when it was my turn to be the princess.
Becky and I spent at least 2 weeks every summer with Grandpa and Grandma. Dad married Winnie and was living in Idaho. He would come to see us, when he could. Grandma became very senile. I can still hear grandpa in a sweet gentle voice trying to get grandma dressed. He would tell her over and over it was alright for him to help her get dressed because he was her husband. Both he and Gordon were so kind and sweet to grandma. I know now how hard it must have been to care for her. They always had to have some with her. I remember one time grandpa was in the barn and a neighbor came to get him because Fritz, Gordon's Doberman, was in the front yard trying to protect grandma and would not let the neighbor close to her.



I am grateful for my family history, and the wonderful reminders of my ancestors in my home.

1 comment:

Lara @ What Dreams May Come said...

wonderful. I have enjoyed doing some of our family history with Uncle Thom. It is so heartwarming to be able to learn their stories and to feel the spirit of Elijah.