Thursday, March 31, 2011

30 years ago today...

Anna Catharina Emma Goossens Voordeckers "Emma", the Moe to most people, passed away. She was born December 7, 1908 in Herentals Belgium. I was nine years old when she passed away, and unfortunately I don't have many memories of her. I do remember going to her house, in La Mesa for family dinners, and we always having a romaine salad with roquefort dressing. Moe and my dad in the back yard of their home in Levis, just across the St. Lawrance river from Quebec. My dad was taking her for a ride on the handle bars of his bike. Moe was up for any adventure! I like this picture of her, because everyone always talked about her sense of humor, and obviously something was making her laugh. My dad told me that this picture was taken in Ensanada Mexico outside of a cathedral. My dad said that they had gone into the cathedral and were looking at the paintings and sculptures, and Moe said that Christ looked miserable. She then commented that it must be because he was looking at all of the poverty around the town, then she got the giggles and had to leave the cathedral. Moe, Boempa, and my dad when he graduated from training in Fort Ord. It still amazes me that my dad wasn't a citizen, he was a legal resident, and he was drafted into the Army. Boempa, Moe, and Timmy (their dog) at their home in La Mesa.
Moe, Eric, and me at their home in Pacific Beach before they moved to La Mesa.



Her surprise birthday party at the Marine Room in La Jolla, I think she definately looks surprised! Boempa looks pretty happy.

Eric, Dad, Mom, and me at the surprise party.

No comments: