Sunday, September 26, 2010

My Big Brother



I have the best big brother in the whole world, and I think deep down I have always known that. It is his birthday today, and needless to say, we are both getting old!
He has always been an example kindness. I haven’t ever heard him speak badly of anyone.
Even as a small boy he was kind. I don’t remember, but my parents like to tell stories of how mischievous I was to him. Eric loved to build with blocks, and I would knock them down, or one by one take them from him, so he didn’t have any more to build with. My parents favorite story is of early one morning, we were playing with a ball. I took the ball from Eric, and went in the bathroom. Eric went in to tell my mom and dad that I had taken the ball, and when they asked me about it, I told them “I flushed it!” – I was hiding the ball behind my back.
I know that I teased him endlessly, and, as we got older, we fought like cats and dogs. He was still my big brother, and he could torture and tease me, but he would never let anyone else.
Eric is now still a very kind man. He is a wonderful father, and devote husband. He is a great neighbor, and always willing to help. I am so grateful for his help, like when our water heater died, we finished the bedroom in our basement, and built a deck. I love living in the same neighborhood with my big brother, it is fun to tell people, “yes Eric Voordeckers is my brother”. With a name like Voordeckers it is hard to hide! I am also glad that our children will all go to the same elementary school, junior high and high school!
I have been blessed to have Eric as my big brother!






No comments: