Thursday, September 9, 2010

Harry Potter

Wilson and Holden have been really into Harry Potter thanks to LEGO. LEGO has come out with a new Harry Potter LEGO video game, so the boys have been checking it all out on the LEGO website.


On Saturday, Ken let them watch the first Harry Potter movie. I am a huge Harry Potter fan, and had forgot how much I love the story. Yesterday I started reading aloud the first book to Wilson, we got through the first chapter. I am not sure who enjoyed it more Wilson or me!

I am teaching a lesson in young women on Sunday about making wise choices. Studying for this lesson reminded me of the wonderful quotes by Albus Dumbledore about choices. I will share a few of the quotes that I love....

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

"Remember Cedric. Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to a boy who was good, and kind, and brave, because he strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Cedric Diggory."

"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."

"There are all kinds of courage. It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends."


I love these quotes, obviously these come from a fictional character, but what wonderful lessons can be learned from them! I am not sure that I will share these quotes in my lesson, but I have enjoyed thinking about them.

I will be showing the young women a video of this talk by President Eyring.

http://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,49-1-851-42,00.html

Everytime I watch this I want to make better choices in my life!

1 comment:

The honest seeker. said...

This is soo adorable!!! I never truly realized how smart albus dumbledore was (aka JK rowling) and I hope wilson enjoys Harry Potter it is my favorite series by far! Love you guys and miss you lots!