Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Influence of a Mother

On Sunday, we went to Provo to attend Ken’s nieces baby’s blessing. The blessing was beautiful, Coleman is a fortunate little boy to have such wonderful parents, and especially to have such a faithful mother. We stopped by a house that is just a couple of blocks from Brittany’s to take a picture. It is the home that my Grandma lived in as a young girl. The home is beautiful still to this day.


When I look at the house, a picture comes to mind. It is of my Great Grandmother (Ilah Maurie Nelson Beck), my Grandma (Geraldine Beck)and her brothers (Wendall, Joseph & Stanton).


The picture was found by my aunt in 1988 with a letter from Ilah written on October 19, 1930 to her children.

This is the letter….

To my dear children and grand children who may be living when the box, which contains this letter, shall be opened:

I was born March 12, 1893 in Provo. In the same house which has been built, and occupied by my parents, at 636 South 5th West. I attended grade school at the Franklin, the attended the Brigham Young University High School. I also learned the Millinery trade, working after school and on Saturdays. I loved this trade very much. At the time every stitch of the hat was made by hand, even the frame. While in the first year of High School I met my future husband. We went thru High School in the same classes and enjoyed many good times together. We graduated in 1913. Your father took two years of college work, which was required before he entered the Medical College. In 1915 we were married, August 25th, in the Salt Lake Temple. I guess right here our names might be in order. Joseph Karl Beck was united in marriage to Ilah Nelson On September 1st 1915 we left for Philadelphia, Pa. Where Karl entered the Jefferson Medical College.
We were in Philadelphia four years during which time we had many thrilling experiences. We visited the large cities of- the East. Many a vacation day we took our lunch and tramped over the famous grounds of Revolutionary fame. Valley Forge, Wilmington, Trenton. Up and down the Delaware, Brandy wine and Schukill Rivers. We became familiar with Betsy Ross’s home, Independence Hall, Wm Penn’s home, Benjamin Franklin’s home, also the different dwellings of George Washington. We stood, inspired, on the same spot that George Washington knelt to pray for help. Also where Abraham Lincoln delivered his Gettysburg speech. But pleasure was mixed with hard work and hard ships. Karl worked very, very hard studying late and early. Many a time he read until his eyes were so weak he could scarcely see out of them.
In 1917 on Oct. 1st Geraldine was born in Provo. This made a great change in our home but we were very happy with our little, beautiful, black haired girl.
In 1918 the World War broke out. Karl was drafted into the Medical S.A.T. Corps. I also had three brothers enlist.
Then about the same time the terrible epidemic of Influenza broke out. The fourth year Medical men were called to help the Doctors. Karl worked in West Philadelphia and received some very valuable experience. This was a terrible time for me as I was alone for weeks wondering what would become of my Doctor man. It was my first experience as the wife of a Physician. I have had lots of hours of anxiety and worry which is the lot which befalls the wife of a Doctor.
Eventually graduating time came. When Karl received his Degree of Medicine it was the happiest moment of our loves. This was in June 1919. We returned to Utah. Your father entered the Latter Day Saint Hospital in Salt Lake City. October 24th 1919 our first son was born. His name is Joseph Karl Beck. In January 1919 we moved to Lehi, returning back to Provo two years later. Wendell Nelson Beck was born to us on December 25th 1921. This was the happiest Christmas we ever enjoyed. Since then, nine successful years have passed. We have been well and happy and have been blessed to the fullest extent, for which I thank my Heavenly Father from the bottom of my heart.
June 16th 1930 [actually 1929] our third son was born. His name is Stanton L. Beck. And so our happiness is complete at the time of this writing. I have worked in the different organizations of our church and can testify unto the truthfulness of this church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I am grateful to my beloved grandparents, who suffered and went thru so many hardships for their religion, and also for us, their posterity.
And so dear children be faithful to the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Obey the laws, pay your tithes, so that you may be worthy of many blessings which are derived there from.
This is the Prayer of your loving Mother and Father, who perhaps, will be beyond this life, when this letter is read. May we live lives worthy of the Lord’s blessings so that we may all be joined together in the great Beyond.

From your mother,

Ilah Nelson Beck

What a sweet letter, and beautiful testimony she shared with her posterity. Ilah died in this home on June 6, 1933. I have often thought of how my grandma and her brothers would have been raised had Ilah not died. My Great Grandfather (Joseph Karl Beck) did not stay active in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and consequently neither did his children. My grandma was active later in life. Out of 12 grandchildren, only my mom, aunt and Junior, one of their cousins, are the only members of the Church in the family.
I know the power and influence that a righteous and faithful mother can have on her children first hand. My mom has, as long as I can remember, been a faithful woman, dedicated to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. There were many years, while I was growing up, that she attended church all alone, yet she still went. Not only did she attend church she diligently served in many callings, and blessed the lives of countless people. I am so grateful for her example. I have many times been in awe of her. I hope that I can be that kind of example to my boys. I want them to always know that I have a testimony of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know that we have been sealed in the Temple as a family, and if we are faithful we can be together forever and return to live with our Savior and Heavenly Father.

Don’t ever doubt the influence that a mother can have…

1 comment:

HAVING THE TIME OF MY LIFE....... said...

Thank you for sharing. Very special and very true!