Thursday, October 9, 2008

Protect the Sanctity of Marriage


I will never forget when President Hinckley first read The Family:A Proclamation to the World. This proclamation was read by President Gordon B. Hinckley as part of his message at the General Relief Society Meeting held September 23, 1995, in Salt Lake City, Utah. I am sure I did not understand, at the time, the relevance of this doctrine. I would have been shocked by the way this doctrine is currently being tested and attacked. The document ends with this statement, "We call upon responsible citizens and officers of government everywhere to promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society."

I no longer live in California, but I did in 2000 when over 61% of California voters approved Proposition 22. It is important to take a stand on this issue. The entire text of Proposition 8 is as follows: "Only marriage between a man and a woman is valid and recognized in California." Propostion 8 needs to be approved to again amend the California Constitution, and protect the sanctity of marriage.